Samantha: 71 Months, Week 3
Aedan: 36 Months, Week 1
May 2nd was a day I was looking
forward to for quite some time, as it was my scheduled ultrasound. I was 20
weeks the Saturday before, so we were now able to find out the gender of our
baby. My appointment was at 11:30, and I had to drink 32 ounces of water an
hour before my ultrasound. I couldn't stop thinking about my appointment all
that morning. I was so excited to see the little one that I could feel moving
and kicking around in my tummy. I couldn't wait to see whether we were going to
have a boy or a girl. I really had no inclination either way, and especially
since we already have one of each, I did not have a preference. Samantha wanted
to come to the appointment as well, so Ben and Aedan came to pick up both of us
at school for the appointment. She had been talking about the appointment
for awhile, and everyone at school knew that we were going to be finding out
the gender of the baby that day. My ultrasound was actually at the radiology department
in the hospital and not with Dr. Amo, but it went really well. Everything
looked great, the baby measured right where it should be for a due date of
September 17th, the baby was moving around a lot even during the ultrasound,
and she weighed the baby at 0.8 pounds. Once she got all the measurements, we
checked to see the gender and I could tell by looking even before she told us:
very clear little boy parts. WE ARE HAVING ANOTHER LITTLE BOY! Of course, I
would have been excited either way, but Ben and I just looked at each other and
smiled. I still am amazed that God created a life within my womb, when I
thought it may not ever happen again. It's also kind of ironic because awhile
back Samantha had a dream that I had a little boy in my tummy and when he came
out he had yellow spiky hair, so she always wondered if God gave her that dream
or not. Maybe her dream will come true! We will have to see what this little
guy looks like after he is born. I also think it's nice because now Aedan will
have someone to play with some day as well. It would have been harder for
Samantha and this baby to play together since they will be 6 1/2 years apart.
He was right up with his face in the lining of my uterus, so we weren't able to
get any full face shots, but we got lot of good profile pictures. I will look
forward to seeing this little guy face to face come September. Until then, I
will hold these pictures close and cherish every time I feel him move. I can't
wait for him to join our family. :)
Aedan also had his three year check-up on Tuesday morning. His
height was measured at 3 feet, 2 inches, and his weight was 34 pounds, 8
ounces. Everything checked out well. He is developing beyond where he should be
at this age, knows plenty of words, and Dr. Newhouse was pleased with him. Ben
was sure to ask about the small bumps Aedan had on his left foot. She said that
it was a viral illness called Molluscum Contagiosum that should just go away in
its own in time.
That night after the kids were in bed, we got
some cute pictures of Izzy playing with her toy basket. She even sat in the
tiny basket and chewed on toys for a little while. It was cute to see her try
to fit her body in the basket.
Wednesday was a crazy day at
school, and I think I just resigned myself to the fact that the kids are going
to be crazy for the rest of the year. I got mulch thrown at me and then I was
told to shut up. I just have to go into each day knowing it will test my
patience, and my time of working full time is nearly coming to an end. However,
I was looking forward to that evening because we had plans for a couple to come
over to watch our kids for us, providing us respite care, so Ben and I could go
out to eat to celebrate his birthday. We decided to head over to Sault Ste.
Marie, Ontario for dinner so we could try out the barbecue restaurant again. I
was sure to make a reservation, and I asked to be sure they had brisket since I
knew that is what Ben would like. It was nice to have an evening kid-free, to be
able to enjoy a dinner out together, and to get back in time for bed time. We
were glad to be able to celebrate Ben's birthday, even in this small way.
Ben had some meetings and other
work he wanted to get done on Thursday, so we asked Miss Lisa if she could
watch Aedan for the day for us. He was excited to see her and his old friends
again, and Ben was grateful to have another day to himself. Here are a couple
pictures he took of Izzy that afternoon when he went home to take her out at
lunch time. She's a cute, fun little dog, and even though she can be a lot of
work sometimes since she's a puppy, we are really enjoying having her a part of
our family.
Samantha comes home with some pretty
interesting work from school sometimes. They have been working on persuasive
writing during Writer's Workshop, and here is a letter she brought home from
school. I will translate it for you. It says, "Dear Uncle Timmy, Please
give me a American doll for Christmas because I really like it! It's 500
dollars. And I would take very very very good care of it!" We thought the
letter was so cute and so funny, that Ben took a picture of it to send to Uncle
Timmy, not because we wanted him to feel pressured to buy Samantha an American
Girl doll, but because we thought he would find the letter interesting. I also
have to remember that Samantha is only in kindergarten and this is pretty good
writing for a kindergartner. You can tell that she is thinking through what she
wants to say and is trying to sound words out. She even uses exclamation
points. Kindergarten has come a long way from where it used to be. They do a
lot more work, and it's amazing that they can get this kind of writing from
kids in their first year of school. Samantha really seems to enjoy writing and
will often write letters and signs at home. I love seeing her skills expand and
grow.
It was going to be a beautiful day on Friday,
so Ben decided to take Aedan down to Mackinaw City to visit Fort
Michilimackinac. We had never been there before, and Ben was excited to check
it out. He was also able to buy a state park pass for our vehicle so now we can
get into the many state parks in Michigan with our pass. This fort had just
opened up for the season, so there weren't many people there, but Aedan still
had a fun time exploring and spending time outside in the sunshine. Ben said
Aedan had a lot of questions about what he was seeing. They got to visit a
lighthouse, too. It's so nice that spring is finally here, and we can enjoy
more time outdoors. We will definitely have to make a family trip here
sometime.
As it was getting closer to
lunchtime, Aedan was getting tired, so Ben decided to stop at McDonald's with
Aedan before heading back home. Once back in the car and on the way home, Aedan
fell asleep right away in the car. He had woken up early that morning and was
definitely ready for a nap. Luckily, Ben put him back down when they got home
and he went back to sleep, getting a good nap in and giving Ben some time to
work on his online summer class. It's nice that Aedan still naps really well
for us most days so that Ben at least has some time of a break in the
afternoons to do work.
Samantha wasn't acting like she
was feeling very well on Friday morning, so I tried to keep my eye on her
throughout the school day. I asked her how she was doing at lunch, and she said
she was feeling fine and was acting normal. I was glad that it was a Friday and
we would have some time to rest and relax at home that weekend, with no really
big plans to go and do anything. By the end of the day Samantha really wasn't
feeling well. I could tell she was not herself when she walked into my
classroom at the end of the day. In fact, Mr. McBride successfully sneaked up
on her and surprised her so much that she got upset and started crying. Then,
he felt really bad for making her so upset. When we got home after school,
Samantha was talking about feeling cold, so I took her temperature and she had
a slight fever. She spent much of the rest of the evening sitting in her bed
under the covers looking at books or participating in quiet activities. She
wasn't much interested in playing with the boys.
On Saturday we didn't have too
many plans other than hanging out at home. Samantha wasn't feeling all that
great on Friday afternoon. I had made plans to take Izzy to play with one of
her sisters from another litter that morning so that way she had the chance to
interact with another dog and get some energy out playing and running around.
This dog was 8 months old and full grown, around 25 pounds. At first Izzy was
pretty nervous when meeting the dog, but once we got into the field area, and
she could be off her leash, it didn't take her too long to warm up. Izzy and
Nala had a blast together chasing each other, play fighting, playing fetch, and
just running and playing for almost an hour and a half. It was amazing to see
how fast they both could run, and it was fun to be able to talk to the other
owner about her experience with their dog. This breed of dog is so smart and
can be easily trained. Plus, they are devoted family dogs. Here are some
pictures and videos from watching the dogs play with each other.
Izzy had been awake and playing all morning both at our house and
then out with the other dog, so when we got in the car to go back home, Izzy
was practically asleep in my lap. When we got back home, she just crashed on
her bed in the kitchen. We had certainly tired her out, and she took a good
long nap for most of the afternoon. The best pictures I get of her are when
she's sleeping, but they are definitely very cute.
With Aedan getting more time alone with Daddy and Izzy during the
day, he is becoming a lot more comfortable around her. He was so afraid of dogs
back when we had Roscoe because he thought they were all mean and grouchy like
Roscoe was. He will play with her now a lot more than she used to, and he even
has a special noise for her. He will say, "Izzy, hud-uh, hud-uh,
hud-uh." I have no idea where he got this from, but she likes it and is
always willing to play with any of the kids that show her attention.
After Izzy's full morning of playing outside
and being active, she was much more calm and subdued for the rest of the day.
Here she is passed out on the rug in the kitchen later that evening. I think we
have discovered the key to tiring her out so she's not so wild with Ben and I
in the evening. :)
Overnight Saturday into Sunday I really
started feeling crummy. I won't go into too many details, but something was not
sitting well with my stomach, and I must have caught some kind of bug because
no one else in the family was seeming to have any trouble. Ben was kind on
Sunday afternoon and let me go over to campus to use his office for awhile so I
could get some work done. I have gotten behind on this blog, and I am
desperately trying to catch up when I have free time so that way I can get back
on track to doing one a week and being able to remember what I want to write
about instead of trying to remember what happened several weeks ago. However, I
just didn't have concentrated blocks of time in which to work without
distractions, so it was nice to be able to sit in a nice, quiet office with no
kids around for a few hours to try and get caught up.
Neither of us felt like making dinner on
Sunday night, and I didn't even feel like eating anything with how my stomach
was feeling, so we decided to go out to eat at McDonald's so that the kids
could eat and then go play and get some energy out for awhile, also giving Ben
and I time to sit together and talk.
I was mostly feeling better on
Monday morning, but I still had little appetite and my stomach was hurting a
lot, almost like cramping, making it hard for me to work that day. I actually
called my doctor about how I was feeling, and the nurse called me back to tell
me that what I was feeling was likely from being dehydrated from being sick so
much the previous couple of days. She encouraged me to drink as much water as I
could so that way I could restore fluids to my body, but that that was where my
cramping feelings were coming from. It was nice to have reassurance as to why I
was feeling the way I was, and I hoped that I would start to feel back to
normal soon. It seemed like I had just gotten over my bad cold/cough/sinus
infection that I got over Easter weekend, and then this hit me. I was
definitely ready to start feeling back to normal again.
On Monday Ben and Aedan had a
good day at home getting things done around the house and just spending some
quality one-on-one time together. They built this awesome marble tower
together, and Ben even ordered all of our tickets for Disney World. (Our
vacation is coming up soon!)
Izzy has definitely been enjoying having Ben
and Aedan home more during the day. She doesn't have to be locked up as much,
we allow her to have more free reign of the house, and she gets a lot more
outside play time, meaning she gets tired out more. Izzy kept wanting to go
outside and said she must just like hanging out outside and being able to
explore. (We had to keep our eye on her a little more because we gave her a
little bit too much freedom over the weekend and she had a couple accidents in
the house when weren't paying attention to where she was and didn't let her out
as much as we should have.) Ben sent me these cute pictures and video of Izzy
and Aedan playing in his bed together that morning. He said she jumped right
up, and they were having fun playing together.
The other exciting event that has happened in our house lately is
Aedan using the potty more, especially when he has to poop, which we are super
excited about. He was pretty resistant to going on the potty for awhile, which
is why we haven't really started potty training with him yet. However, he has
done a better job of letting us know when he has to go so we can take him to
the bathroom. I think he has gotten to a similar point as where we were with
Samantha when she learned how to poop in the potty. Aedan is tired of getting
bad diaper rashes and having it hurt when we wipe him and having to put cream on
all the time. I think he's beginning to understand that going poop in the potty
is much easier and much better than pooping in a diaper. He even has peed in
the potty some lately, too. Maybe he is starting to potty train all on his own!
Our goal was to get him more comfortable with sitting on the potty at regular
times of day while Ben is at home with him over the next few weeks, and then
once we return from our long vacation in Florida, we will do the definite potty
training where we take his diapers away and only wear big boy underwear from
now on. I think he's getting more and more excited about going in the potty,
and he especially likes when he goes on the potty and the potty fairy comes and
leaves him a sucker treat as a reward. :)
So, to end, I will leave you with these pictures of Ben and Izzy.
He was not really wanting to get a puppy when I decided to veto him and move
forward with getting this adorable little girl, but I think she is winning him
over, what do you think? She gives us the sweetest little kisses on our face.
(Blog about May 2-8, 2017)










Congratulations on your little boy! I am so glad you're still blogging-Josh and I were just reminded of your family and I was delighted to read all your updates of your growing beautiful family. :) -Meagan Held
ReplyDelete